Friday, March 26, 2010

Small talk with an old lady

Today an old lady start talking to Ryan and about our kids. She asked how far apart Kamyrn and Kade were and I told her 4 years. She replied with, "That's quite a big gap!" and then I threw back at her, "I did have another boy in between them but he died." not rudely but enough for her to possibly shut her mouth. Then she through back at me, "At least you have kids. I always wanted them but never had any." I felt bad for a minute. But thought who was she to judge how far apart my kids should be? Oh well we continued on with the conversation (we were waiting for Ryan's turn to get his haircut). She was nice and just asked questions about the kids. I hope I didn't offend her.I am pretty sure I didn't, because Ryan would have let me know. I was just bothered about her comment and wanted to stand up for myself. I wish Kade did have a closer sibling to him. But God had other plans. Now that I am having two so close together I am sure I will have similar reactions but just the opposite!

I already get that surprised look out of people when they ask me how far apart Kamryn and Keegan will be. I tell them almost almost a year exactly they always tell me how hard that it's going to be. But honestly how many of them have kids a year apart? How do they REALLY know? Yeah maybe they babysit kids that are a year apart, but are those kids siblings and are those kids theirs? I think that makes a big difference, could be worse could be better, but I think they will get used to the fact that they are both around all the time and I will get used to them and I will know them inside and out, better than a babysitter. Before I had Kamryn I thought, wow this would be hard if Kooper were here. Now I am getting ready for that situation with a 1 year old and a newborn and honestly I am not really worried about it(yet). I know there may be challenges, but for some reason I am not nervous or scared or even thinking about how hard it is going to be. I know it will take adjusting,I am mostly worried about leaving the house alone with them. Maybe I am thinking more about as they get older how much easier it will be and that idea or thought is drowning out the thought of when they are so little still. Guess I can only wait and see.

I wish I would have taken before and after pictures of Ryan. He decided to let his hair grow a little (maybe I will get some pics tonight). It has been shaved weekly for the past 5 years....it was getting long and needed trimmed. It's not long enough yet to really style it, but in about a week it should be. It is weird seeing my man with hair again! But he's looking hot! I haven't actually told him this, but I encouraged it because I am sure that he won't have hair for too long.... all males in his family are bald on top or it's pretty thin (hope I don't offend any family members reading this)! He might as well have some hair while he can!

signature

4 comments:

Jenny from the Blog said...

I'll tell you Kami, I had my daughter and 3 months later I took over my 13 month old niece. She never left. We adopted her a few years later. It was hard for me to handle 2 kids that were 10 months apart but I got used to it. I wouldn't have it any other way! Don't worry about other people's comments, sometimes they are envious because you have beautiful children and can handle them.

And about Ryan's hair...I always liked my husband with hair but he hasn't had hair in 10 years or so. You need to tell him what you think of his hair cause he may just leave it that way for you... :o)

Marissa said...

Kami - my husband is only 11 months apart from his older brother and his mom had 8 other kids at the time!!! I'm sure the older ones helped but it is certainly doable and just remember - YOU can do anything. You've been through a tough time and you are making it through - everything is easy compared to the heartache of losing your child. Um I totally understand being afraid to leave the house with three - I avoid doing it at all costs with just the two I have!!! "P

Teri said...

All I have to say is that being a mom is hard and a lot of work no matter how far apart your kids are.....strangers are so quick to judge...You'll get looks all the time (I know from experience..we had 3 boys all about 2 years a part..and I look young HA! )Hard days will come..You are an amazing mom and you'll do fine..just use your friends around you thats what they are here for!! by the way you're such a good blogger.. you always have a new post!! I hope you make your blog a book..I think your kids would love to read it someday!!!It would strengthen them so much!!! Did I say "all I have to say is??" oops sorry!!

Kami said...

Jen,
Thanks for the advice. I did tell Ryan that he should grow it out, but not the part about he should have hair while he can. But I am sure he will read it soon, because he reads my posts every night before I go to bed.

Marissa,
That's funny because my Dad actually had 8 siblings and was about 11 months apart from his younger brother. That's true what you said, having 2 kids a year apart couldn't be harder than what I already went through with Kooper.
Thanks!

Teri,
I guess it wouldn't matter how close they were having more than 2 kids gets you looks anyway! I blog everyday, it is my new years resolution. I plan on making it into a book, but it's expensive. Just my 2008 and 2009 posts are going to cost me over 100 dollars! Plus my kids are the main reason I do it. It's my journal basically. Thanks for your sweet words and advice. I have a hard time asking for help sometimes.

Thanks for all your comments ladies :)