Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Baby update and A Baby Story

My doctors appointment went well today. No new baby news. I will now be going bi-weekly and I had to move my ultrasound, so no ultrasound this week. So nothing new to report other than even though I agreed to name him Keegan I am struggling with it. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I don't call him by his name. I have a hard time calling him Keegan. This morning when I got home from my appointment and Ryan said, "How's Keegan doing?" I closed my eyes and laughed and told him my honest feelings...that I just have a hard time with the name and I don't love it. Well he told me his honest opinion and told me that he didn't love Krue. Today Kade called him both names....which was weird. I guess his name isn't set in stone until he is born and I have filled out the paperwork.

On another note I was watching A Baby Story this morning while Kade was at preschool. I don't watch it very often and I have had a hard time watching it since Kooper. It has become easier but some stories just end up making me angry or bothered (like the one I watched today) and I wonder why I even bothered to watch in the first place! Today there was this couple having their first baby. They were in a hospital in New York (I actually had to look at the end of the show because is says "A special thanks to BLANK for letting us film" or something like that to thank the hospital.) I wondered if it was a hospital or a birthing center. It indeed was a hospital but it sure didn't look like one during the show. I wasn't aware that Labor and Delivery rooms at some hospitals look like a triage room in another. I don't consider the hospital I have delivered my babies at to be high class or anything like that so I don't know what kind of hospital this was but I would have chosen somewhere else. Not only did it look like a triage room or the size of one for that matter, I don't even know how to describe it. In all the shows (which I have seen alot) about babies being born this was not like any of the L&D Rooms I have seen. Anyways back to the story. This Mom had a natural birth plan. She did a lot of laboring at home and then was in extreme pain so they went to the hospital because she wanted some relief and her contractions were getting close. So they get there and she is only dilated to a 2. She is throwing up and sick and all she wants is an epidural. She said in the car I am changing my birth plan, I can't handle the pain I want something for it. Well the doctor and nurse at this hospital said that they were ordering the epidural but told her they were trying to hold off to see if she could just make it through it and possibly change her mind. Her jerk of a husband also said, " I think you should just try and keep going, your labor will go faster without the epidural and I know you will regret it." That man couldn't stand half the pain that women was going through. All I could think of is, someone should kick him where it counts and ask him if he wished he had an epidural right now!

HELLO this is her first baby, she is in extreme pain, even without the epidural this could go on for HOURS! For 2-3 hours she labored with no epidural and the whole time kept asking for it. If my nurse or doctor told me that I would have gone MAD! haha

So finally after the hours of laboring they check her...she is dilated to a 7. She even commented how she wished they would have given her something, even knowing how far she went. They finally gave her the epidural and then when it came time to push they had to encourage her so much and she still had barely enough energy to get the baby out. Probably because she was tired from laboring so long. On top of it all at the end the baby's heart rate was dropping and come to find out (they didn't say anything about it on the show but you could see it) there was meconium...meaning at some point the baby pooped while he was in there due to stress. They didn't address the meconium or even talk about why or when the baby was in distress. Anyhow after that I was just like you all are a bunch of idiots! When I ask for an epidural you better just get me one and the only excuse I will accept is that the anaesthesiologist is BUSY!

Okay I am done with my "rant" about A Baby Story.

Someone made a comment or I guess posted a question in my comments about if I had decided on the baby's room decor or theme. Well unfortunately for this baby he doesn't get his own room for now. So I haven't really decided about crib bedding. Right now we live in a 3 bedroom home. We have a "den" that is the playroom, which could be converted into a bedroom but it would require closing off the wall and creating a doorway and it wouldn't' have a closet. This could be an option.

Ryan suggested putting him in Kamryn's room, which is PRETTY and PINK. I said NO. I am not against sharing rooms, but I think that they would be better off sleeping in separate rooms especially during nap time! I am mostly leaning towards putting him in Kade's room once he is sleeping in a crib. For the first little while he will be in a bassinet in our room. Kade always wants someone to sleep with him. Probably because for the longest time he crawled into bed with us in the middle of the night. That has changed and he longs to have a buddy. So once the baby is sleeping well I will put him in the same room as Kade.

Kade's room is a Harley Davidson themed room. I still have Kade's old crib bedding (which is sports themed) but we will see if I use it. I doubt I could find something to match this Harley theme....maybe someone could help me with a sewing project?! I have a machine but not alot of knowledge.

signature

3 comments:

Teri said...

I can do that last paragraph:)!!! fun fun!

amyraye said...

i'm glad you're revisiting the baby's name; i can tell that you're not sold on krue or keegan. you will find a name that you love; no worries.

i also totally agree with baby arrangements. that's how we do it around here: room in w/new baby for first several months and then move them into their own space (if possible) for the next 2 years. kamryn does still need her own space so i think you're right in putting the baby in with kade. he'll love it. :)
i used to have a fascination with a baby story, too. i didn't even know it was still on. ryan- i hope you got the message loud and clearn that your wife wants an epidural!!

Kami said...

Yay, thanks Teri! It will be fun. I like to sew I am just not good at it! haha I am a self taught, guessing girl.

Amy,
I do love the name Krue, but I know that Ryan isn't in love with the name. We will see. Also I will be having an epidural! Unless I get brave or for some reason I go into labor and it's too late. I wouldn't bet on that. I carry high and usually don't dilate much until I am induced.