Sunday, March 28, 2010

I'm trying to be like Jesus

For people who aren't familiar with the church I go to, we have a class that is for the women in the church and it's called Relief Society. It is one of my favorite parts of church on Sunday. It is just so nice to go to a class and listen to others experiences and learn of ways to improve our family and our life and to be the best women, wife, and mother to our family, friends, co-workers, neighbors and all those around us. I always feel so uplifted and I always get so much out of the lessons. That was one of the biggest things that I missed when I had a calling where I served the young women in the ward. I loved being with them and teaching lessons, but there is just something so nice and uplifting about Relief Society.

The lesson today especially touched my heart. One thing stuck out to me. It talked about having wayward children that fall away from the church or are rebellious and possibly get themselves into bad things. The one thing we can do is pray for them and not give up on them or disown them. I worry sometimes about what my kids choices will be. They have free agency and will one day be the ones making the choice whether or not to go to church or go on a mission, or do drugs, or participate in things that are not good. I hope I don't end up in that position but the one thing I will do if I do have a wayward child is to pray for them and not to give up on them or disown them. If we did give up on them then we wouldn't be doing what Jesus would do. Would he turn his back or give up on us after a mistake? The teacher also talked about a story and I can't remember who it was by but that person had been walking by the primary room (where the kids go for class) and heard the children singing the song, I'm trying to be like Jesus. Kids are so innocent and to hear them sing those words and with such courage and enthusiasm always brings a smile to my face. As she read the words tears came to my eyes as I thought about how I can try to be like Jesus and I pictured Kade singing it and I decided that this year in our house I am going to try and focus with Kade on that topic and teach him that song. Because that is why we are here to be tested. Our goal is to be like Jesus.

I found a youtube video with the song sung by children with pictures of Christ so you can hear the words too.


I’m trying to be like Jesus;
I’m following in his ways.
I’m trying to love as he did, in all that I do and say.
At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice,
But I try to listen as the still small voice whispers,

Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught.

I’m trying to love my neighbor;
I’m learning to serve my friends.
I watch for the day of gladness when Jesus will come again.
I try to remember the lessons he taught.
Then the Holy Spirit enters into my thoughts, saying:

Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught.

signature

1 comment:

Jenny from the Blog said...

I love this! You know, when Juan and I were having trouble in our relationship, a friend of mine had a very candid conversation with me and said that I just needed to pray for him. I was floored!! I was upset about the things he was teaching my kids but she brought me a book that was called The Power of the Praying Wife. It was a great book with some wonderful prayers and she was right. We can't give up on those that need us the most...ever.

Love this post!!