Friday, February 19, 2010

My Rant!

I started to write this post 15 days ago. I didn't want to offend the person that made me think of posting about this even though I'm almost positive that she doesn't read my blog. Her son nearly drown, well I guess he did because he didn't have a pulse by the time she reached him and then he was resuscitated. Right now I am upset because I just read another story in the news about a mom in AZ that left her 3 yr old with her 9 month old in the tub while going to answer the phone. I am so mad right now. I am so mad at the parents out there that make this STUPID mistake. Maybe it didn't seem so simple to them like one of my mistakes I might make in life will seem like simple to someone else. But this mistake to me anyways seems like COMMON SENSE! I want to scream to every parent out there to NOT LEAVE YOUR KID IN THE BATHTUB ALONE (or with another child)! SERIOUSLY!

I have to admit I am an overprotective parent. I still make Kade leave the door open while in the tub. I know it usually doesn't matter how much water is in there, there is a chance of drowning but I don't let Kade have a very full tub. Maybe a couple inches. It took a while before I would even leave Kade unattended in the bath. Because you never know. Still I yell to him or go check on him if I haven't heard him splashing or talking for a minute.

Every year I read in the newspaper about an infant or toddler that got left in the bathtub alone or with another child for a few minutes and they either died or were in serious condition. Honestly your excuse is you went to answer the phone? HELLO don't you think that can wait? I am just so furious. Another thing that goes along with that are the people who don't have fences around their pools (my next door neighbor is one of them). You have to be soooo careful and remind yourself that you can't just leave and go in to answer the phone or grab something. Or hope that your toddler doesn't sneak out the back door. You can't trust another child to be the "adult" and watch them. They get so distracted even adults do let alone a 5 year old. Especially in the tub, they might think they are playing and not even inform you until the baby is almost dead.

When Kade was younger before I put him in the tub I made sure I had everything I needed. Phone, towel, washcloth, shampoo and then he could get in.

Another thing is that my neighbor who doesn't have a gate has a 2 year old little boy. She also wants to have more kids, what are you thinking not having a gate around your pool? Could you live with the guilt? I couldn't. On top of it twice in the past week I have found their gate to the backyard OPEN! Which infuriates me. I will be talking to them soon and if it doesn't get fixed I will be the rude neighbor that REPORTS them because in Surprise it is the law that you have a have a sprig on your gate that makes it automatically shut if left open.

My rant and rage is over with. I just needed to get that out!

Ok so here was my post I wrote a few weeks ago after hearing of a similar event that happened in Utah.

When I think about preventing what happened to Kooper, the what ifs so that he could be here with us now, it just leads to something happening to him in the first few years of his innocent life. Because I have such a strong testimony that he was needed in heaven, that Heavenly Father needed him for something more important. He accomplished all the he needed to on earth with the time I got to spend with him. He gained a body and also changed our life forever. He helped our testimonies grow. He changed our life so much and I know that was part of the plan. I have always had this strong feeling that if we were to have caught the knot in his cord before it took his life that he wouldn't be here long. Maybe a few years. I would love to have even a few years with him, but could I handle it? Could I handle losing a child whom I have created so many memories with? Could Ryan or Kade handle losing him after spending time with him? As I have read and heard stories of other Mom's who have lost their sons due to accidents or illness it scares me. It hurts me and I know that it would hurt me so much more than the pain I felt when I lost Kooper. It would have taken a much larger piece of my heart. I would be way more over protective of a mom than I already am. Honestly I can't imagine me being much more over-protective than I already am. I mean come on I broke up the baby goldfish for Kade until he was 3! just kidding.... maybe he was 2. So how would I react if Kooper would have died in an accident whether it was being hit by a car or drowning (my ultimate biggest fear), or other things that can happen? I wouldn't let my kids leave my sight for a long time. Kamryn has had 1 person watch her other than family since she was born....does that tell you anything? I just don't think I could handle the guilt of what if I would have done this or what if I would have done that....because I know that if he lived there is not doubt in my mind that he wouldn't have lived for very many years.

I am 100% positive no ifs ands or buts that EVERYTHING happens for a reason. Kooper happened for a reason. He was taken for a reason and I have to be okay with that because if I wasn't than that would mean that I didn't have full trust and faith in the Lord. I do get sad and wonder why at times but I remind myself to have faith and know that it happened for a reason.

signature

4 comments:

Young Family said...

Two thing:

1. I need to have more faith and trust like you do, I admire you so much.

2. I needed to hear this post. I am guilty of leaving my boys in the tub. I am always in ear shot but I guess even that is too far. Thanks for the reminder.

amyraye said...

i read that same story. my thinking is even if your child is technically old enough to bathe alone, what if he's messing around and hits his head and slips unconscious under the water. it's really never ok to leave any child alone in the water. i still check on my 10-year-old in the bath. i have a definite water/drowning phobia. sounds like maybe we share it?

Marissa said...

I agree - everything happens for a reason - that is a very hard thing to swallow at first but if you pay attention you see why later on once you get through the hardest parts of grief.

Malory said...

I admire your faith & aspire to reach that someday. I too am very very overprotective. I get everything you said.