Thursday, February 4, 2010

Journals

Yesterday as I was reading my sisters blog post I went to comment on something that I have felt is very important and then something happened and my whole comment was deleted and I had typed it form my phone and it was kind of long. Then I thought it would be a great post to write about tomorrow so here I am. You can read her post here.

As I read the quote she referred to in her blog post,"The palest ink is more than the greatest memory" Immediately I thought of Journaling about your life, and about all the experiences you have had. How even if you had the best memory there is and don't forget anything, what happens when you die? Whose memory will live on to tell your stories to the next generations? Plus how likely do you think that parts will be missed or facts will be changed? Wouldn't it be neat to have a journal of your great-great-grandparents or even just your mom? To hear the horror stories of the terrible things that you did as a child and how much she still loved every inch of you? Or how even though she was so, so mad when she screamed at you that it wasn't really your fault that maybe she had alot on her mind or on her plate?

As Ashley talks about her struggle with this college course I see her great great grandchildren reading her Journal (her blog) and finding out that they have that same fear. To know that they aren't alone and that they can overcome it.

I have never been a good journaler. An inspiration came from a missionary that came over for dinner shortly after Kooper died. He wanted to share his testimony and a spiritual thought about journaling. Someone in his family had the journal of one of his great great great grandma's. In that journal she talked about her conversion to the church and she lived and was a member around the time that Joseph Smith was translating the Book of Mormon. She talked about how he was always tucked away doing work. She also talked about how much her father was against her going to these meetings. How neat is that? There was more there that I don't remember. But I knew that it would be important for me to tell my story. For me to document my life for the generations to come. Maybe my experience will help on of my great great granddaughters through a tough trial of losing a child. Or maybe they will see my faith in my journaling and it will help them gain a testimony of their faith. Or maybe they will just laugh at the random things that I post and wonder what was wrong with their crazy Grandma! But I hope I can at least make them laugh.

So Ashley even though you think sometimes your posts are boring. They may seem like it to you, but when your kids and grandkids go back and read, they won't think so. They will probably relate to your stories. Plus it's a good thing you are doing this blogging everyday thing with me, how likely do you think you would have blogged about your class last night?




signature

1 comment:

amyraye said...

chills. i've actually been researching this very subject for a short class i was supposed to (but didn't end up doing because of other stuff going on) teach at enrichment tonight. my biggest realization was that 90% of the stuff i documented and wrote on my blog last year was stuff i never would have taken the time to document, had i not committed to my sister to blog daily with her. i just would have been "too busy", "too pregnant", or "too sad" to write down all of my feelings/experiences of last year. but i am SO GRATEFUL that i did because 99% of what i wrote on my blog is stuff i want to know and re-experience. for me, for my family, for my posterity. journaling is vital. i'm really glad you're blogging daily- and that you get to do it with your sister. i'll head over there and read her post right now.

thanks for sharing your thoughts. you're dead-on.