Friday, September 25, 2009

More tummy problems

So on Wednesday we took Kamryn to the doctor. She has been crying almost like she is in pain and eating less than normal so we wanted to see what's up. I thought maybe it was an ear infection or something like that. Her ears were good and so was her throat so they are thinking it might be reflux. So they prescribed her medication for it. The good news is that she is still gaining weight and now weighs 14 pounds 3 ounces. They also referred me to take her to a cardiologist for her heart murmur. We go in a few weeks.

I went the following day to fill the prescription and as I was walking away I walked past the Gripe water. I still hadn't tried that, but who knows if it would help. So later that night I had Ryan go to the store to get the gripe water. I have given it to her a couple times, and I don't know if this is bad to do but I only give her the prescription when she needs it. I need to call her doctor to make sure it's okay to do but she probably isn't getting much of it anyway. I am worried that if she really doesn't have reflux that giving her this unnecessary medication could make her stomach problems worse. I read a little bit about it and it changes the pH in their tummy and can make it hard for their stomach to digest things later in life. But then again she shouldn't have to be in pain and have the acid eat away at her esophagus if I have medicine to treat it.So the few times I have given it to her I have only given her half of her prescribed dose and she spits up most of it because it is nasty! I looked on the bottle and it's peppermint flavor. I am not sure if it came in any other flavors they didn't ask me. Why would you give a 3 month old peppermint flavor??? I need to call the pharmacy and ask them why or if I can change it because if she is going to need to take this then it has gotta taste different or have no taste at all. She hasn't had it at all today, just a little bit of gripe water for her and she seems to be doing well.


I looked online and the only way to test for reflux is to put s pH monitor up their nose and down their stomach for 24 hours. It isn't very common to do.

So hopefully things get better for her. Yesterday while getting some more formula and contemplated buying soy but I feel bad trying yet another new formula. But then i think what if she is able to digest it better and her tummy doesn't hurt?

Well I am off to call the pharmacist!
signature

2 comments:

Marianne said...

They told me for 10 months that my son Kaleb had reflux then they sent us for testing at a childrens hospital for every kind of disorder when he was 22 months old he had the flu and I took him of milk did the crying,ear and vomiting problems stop they found through test that he cannot have milk products at all and some baby foods also have a milk protein that is not listed on the label also at the pediatric allgerist tested for soy allgery because alot of kids can not have both. He is now four and is a happy and healthy little boy

Jessica said...

Jameson had a similar situation. They prescribed Zantac and ordered several tests. I just wanted my baby to not be in so much pain. We finally found Baby's Bliss Gripe water and Similac Sensative R.S. formula. That was the majic combination for him. Good Luck!