Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Kids have alot to say if you just take a minute to actually listen!

Sometimes kids say the things you need to hear most and if you don't pay attention then you might miss out on some of the best insights. Some of you may look at what Kade said to me and say that it is just something kids say and others might look at it in a way that I do. Kids are so much closer to the veil then us adults and I think that sometimes they dream or see or somehow just know things because they are so close to the veil.

This story may seem to jump around but all these events I am telling you about lead to this wonderful feeling that is in my heart and soul right now.


Sunday after church I was asked to go to a Young Women fireside that 11 stakes were invited to. Normally I wouldn't have the feeling of, I don't really want to go, but I had just worked the night before and came straight to church after getting some sleep. We also have late church and don't get out until 5 and the fireside started at 6pm. So when the Young Womens president asked. I said sure. I didn't have anything else to do but eat because I was starved! So I ran home and ate and one of the Laural advisers and I carpooled. Speaking at the fireside was the First Counselor in the Young Women General Presidency, Sister Mary Nielsen Cook. And also Elder Michael D. Pickerd of the Seventy was there as a special guest. I was so happy I went because I am the Young Women Personal Progress Leader and for those of you that don't know they have added a new value to the Young Women theme: Virtue. That also means another value to pass off! So she talked about the virtue and being a virtuous women. We then read in 1 Nephi chapter 8 about the Iron Rod and the Tree of Life. It was a very good talk and I became very motivated by it to be better at some of the areas I have been lacking in.


On Monday nights Ryan has been going bowling with some friends at 9:00 and I usually scrapbook. Many times Kade and I lay on the couch and watch Little People Big World and then John and Kate plus 8 comes on. Kade loves that show he calls it, "the kid show." I know I know it is kind of late for a 3 year old to be staying up, but then I get to sleep in! So anyways as Kade and I were watching they showed previews of the upcoming Little People Big World where Matt the father goes to Iraq or Afghanistan (honestly I can't remember which one it is). It shows him with a little boy who is sick on the table and out of it from anaesthesia and doctors in scrubs. Kade begins to tell me, "that's like Kooper." Randomly when he sees sick kids in hospitals whether it be on ER or just on a random TV show he will tell me it's like Kooper. He then tells me that Kooper is in the Tree. Many times after Kooper died Kade and I would get into discussions about Kooper and where he is. Kade usually says from now on that Kade is with Jesus and Heavenly Father. But a while back he kept telling me that Kooper was in the tree. I would always just say ok and not think anything of it. Well last night he reminded me that Kooper was in the tree and then also said to me, "He cried until he touched the tree." and I asked him again what he said and he repeated the same thing. I didn't think anything of it at that point.

Later that night I was laying in bed thinking about my lesson that I would have to give on Sunday and the talk that was given by Sister Cook. I started thinking about all the things she said and remembered the scriptures we read about the Tree of Life. It hit me, Kade was talking about the Tree of Life. I had a hard time not jumping out of bed wanting to read the scriptures again, but it was already 3:00 AM and I really thought I should try and get some sleep.

So this morning as I opened my scriptures the first thing I noticed as I went to 1 Nephi chapter 8 was the words I had written in seminary. Tree = Christ along with another scripture, 1 Nephi 11:19. So I read Chapter 8 and then decided to go to the scripture I had written in. The following scriptures stood out to me:

The end of verse 21 which reads,
Knowest thou the meaning of the tree which they father saw?

22. And I answered him, saying: Yea, it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the most desirable above all things.

23. And he spake unto me, saying: Yea, and the most joyous to the soul.

24. And after he had said theses words, he said unto me: Look! and I looked, and I beheld the Son of God going forth among the children of men; and I saw many fall down at his feet and worship him.

25. And it came to pass that I beheld that the rod of iron, which my father had seen, was the word of God, which led to the fountain of living waters, or to the tree of life; which waters are a representation of the love of God; and I also beheld that the tree of life was a representation of the love of God.

In the past few months I have wondered about Kooper. The church doesn't really have a stance on stillbirth but Joseph Smith does. I have believed what he has written but still I have wondered why there has been nothing else about stillborn children. So recently it has been in my prayers to know that Kooper is fine and is apart of our eternal family and the things which I believe and have read from Joesph Smith are true. I think that the words Kade spoke to me were the answer to my prayer.

I truly know that Kooper is with our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I know that we are an Eternal Family and will be reunited.




I am so grateful that I went to seminary and wrote the notes in my scriptures and that I went to the fireside on Sunday.

Sometimes when your kids talk remember to really listen. They just might be answering your prayers!



4 comments:

Young Family said...

That is really neat. Thanks for sharing.

Read chapter 14 in the Joseph Smith manual for RS. I had to give that lesson back in August a week after we had a burial service for Scott. We will be withour children again. Our sweet baby boys just needed to get their bodies and we gave it to them.

Natalie said...

Wow...i was just totally flooded with the strongest feeling of the spirit! That was beautiful! I too believe that what Joseph Smith taught applies to our little ones that were born still into the arms of God. I can't wait to get to the tree to be with Branson!
Answers to our thoughts and prayers can come in the most amazingly beautiful ways! Thank you for sharing this :)

dunnfamily2 said...

that is one smart kiddo you have there, hun. it's an amazing thing you gave to kooper...and he's giving you something incredible too. it's moving, your faith.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kami, this post is just beautiful. There are tears streaming down my face, not from sadness, but from a full heart. Thank you for sharing, I wish I could be there for your lesson. When I think of you, the first things that come to mind are peanut butter painting and some of the other pictures I have. So it catches me by surprise sometimes when I see the wonderful woman you are now. Love ya lots, Pam